Sister(s) with Breast Cancer

How having relatives with breast cancer can increase your risk of getting breast cancer.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Re: Sister(s) with Breast Cancer

Postby Mimi2 » 08pm31America/New_York()

{{{{{Mulberry}}}} I was tearing up reading your post about your sister not having anything to do with you. THEN, I really teared up when you took soup to her and she invited you in for coffee. I really think you got that foot in the door.

Cancer in my family...two brothers with prostate cancer, one with lung cancer (just starting treatment) and he has some sort of mass on his neck (please pray for him), grandfather with bladder cancer and I don't know about any others. My dad lived until he was almost 93..his sister lived until she was 101 yo. My mom is will be 93 in July. My maternal grandparents lived until their 80s..Grandpa had the baldder cancer. I didn't know many family members...who knows what they died from. Seems like some pretty good genes until my brothers and I came along. :o
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 09am31America/New_York()

My onc has suggested that I be tested for BRCA, due to two of my sisters having bc. I don't know enough about it but it scares me. On the other hand I do have a daughter. But I have 5 sisters and the two that have had bc both had breast implants back years ago...when they used silicone. I need to do some reading and research what I should do. One sisters implant burst and she got lupus..besides the bc. Every one of my sisters were flat chested and the dr removed 9 lbs of breast when he did my reduction. We joked years ago about me being a breast donor for the rest of my sisters and then we'd all be the perfect size. Little did we know...
Cheri
Chemosabi

Postby Chemosabi » 09am31America/New_York()

Lots of cancer in my family. My middle sister passed away at the age of 46 from a very aggressive form of Ovarian Cancer. Then I was diagnosed with BC in 2005. I did have reconstruction and silicone implants (gummy bears). My older sister was diagnosed with BC 3 months after me. She had the same surgery I did and she got saline implants.

They didn't do BRCA testing when my sister passed on, but both of us (my older sister and I) have tested positive for BRCA2.

When going through genetic testing we found out the cancer came from my paternal side. My grandmother who I never met passed on early from Ovarian Cancer.

I found it interesting that BRCA 2 puts you at risk for Ovarian, Breast, Pancreatic, and Prostate Cancer. So it's not just a matter of passing on this gene to the women in our family. It's also passing it on to our sons.

Chemosabi
Mulberry

Postby Mulberry » 10am31America/New_York()

I had to have day surgery to remove what the surgeon believes may be scar tissue from the bilat. Will see when the path report comes back.Didn't tell anyone except my Husband,kids,SIL and of course my boss.

Had to be at the hospital yesterday at 6am and when I walked in was shocked to see my sister!!!!!!!
She just kind of nervously looked at me and said "You don't mind if I hang out until you get through this do you?"

I couldn't say a word so my Husband quickly said " We can use all the support we can get right now."

She was still there when I started to wake up from the surgery.

This is BIG because she's never been there for any of this journey.

Anyway I guess in my drug induced brain I must have been babbling, don't remember it but my Husband said I looked over at her and said "Welcome home Lil Sis."

She just started bawling. My son had to take her outside.

She called me about 10 times last night and my Husband finally told her "Why don't you just come over. If nothing else you could help do dinner dishes or give the girls a bath or something."

She did both and folded a load of laundry.

I didn't talk to her much. The drugs had me pretty out of it so no telling what we talked about.

But she was here and that's what counts.
cheri

Postby cheri » 10pm31America/New_York()

Mulberry, that is wondeful news about your sister! I'm so happy for you cos sisters are so important in our lives. I'm keeping my fingers crossed your path will be clean. Hope you are feeling better and best wishes.
Cheri
Nana
Diagnosed on: Aug. 19,2005
Cancer Stage: Stage II
Node Status: None
Tumor Size: 3.5 cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER/PR + Her2neg

Postby Nana » 10pm31America/New_York()

Mulberry, just wanted you to know this is one of those post that pulls at your heart strings. I'm
glad that your Sis was there and that she has found a way to deal with all that is happening.

Hope you are feeling OK today. When will you get your path report?
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Postby GingerSnap » 03pm30America/New_York()

Mulberry, I just saw and read this thread ... you have me crying here! I am so thankful your sister is coming back into your life.

Cancer made my sister come back, too. She hadn't spoke with me for 2 years! Cancer dx and she called and told me she was sorry and wrong and could we move on ? Of course, I was thrilled.
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
cheri

Postby cheri » 23am31America/New_York()

We need a thread called "Pesky Relatives"...just kidding...sorta.
Cheri

Return to “Risky Relatives”