Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Vertigo

Postby GingerSnap » 07pm30America/New_York()

I have been having episodes lately ... never have had them before. So, I looked it up at what the causes could be ....... get this:

Vertigo More Likely In People Who Have Osteoporosis
Wednesday March 25, 2009
Vertigo is an inner ear disorder that causes dizziness. People who have osteoporosis are more likely to also have vertigo, according to a study published in the March 24, 2009 issue of Neurology. In the study, 209 people with benign positional vertigo were compared to 202 people with no history of dizziness. Results showed that people with osteoporosis were 3 times more likely to have vertigo -- and people with osteopenia were twice as likely to have vertigo compared to people with normal bone density.
Vertigo is thought to be caused by loose calcium carbonate crystals that move in the sensing tubes of the inner ear. The connection with osteoporosis suggests there may be a problem with calcium metabolism. Women typically have their first experience with vertigo in their 50s when there is a drop in bone mass related to loss of estrogen (one of the primary hormones involved in calcium and bone metabolism). The link between osteoporosis and vertigo also was found in men -- so researchers believe other factors are involved.
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
camsdh
Forum Moderator

Re: Vertigo

Postby camsdh » 07pm30America/New_York()

Ginger, I have this.. the calcium carbonate crystals that move in the sensing tubes of the inner ear. I started to post about it yesterday when Daisy asked about you. The symptoms of the positional vertigo is spells of vertigo when lying down usually one side worse than other, bending over, or turning head.. The only treatment is a wierd exercise that involves lying down on one side, turning to flat on back and then to other side. (a little more complicated) then limited motion for the next 24 hours.

Return to “Cancer 101”